THANKS, everyone, for the kind comments and practical suggestions regarding my less than successful first quilt.  I am seriously considering hand-sewing my next binding — and using spray adhesive between the layers. In the meantime, I had to get back on that sewing horse.  So I whipped these two projects up over the weekend:

Adult PJ Bottoms

Adult PJ Bottoms

I slated myself as a size medium and they came out HUGE.  I swear, you could fit three legs into one side.  So I performed an on-the-fly taking-in job.  I eyeballed it and ended up taking them in too much.  So I ripped that seam out and took them in a second time.  I was getting tired and became concerned that I’d accidentally put a hole in the fabric with my seam ripper, but thankfully that didn’t happen.  If these were actual pants, rather than PJ bottoms, I would have done a much more measured job when taking them in.  I’ve worn them twice so far and they’re cozy and fit well.  Here’s a bigger shot:

P1050531

Then I made this apron from Bend-the-Rules Sewing:

P1050576

I love it!!!  Here are two more shots:

As Worn By My Daughter

As Worn By My Daughter

P1050567

I considered adding a yellow pocket and trim along the bottom.  But it turned out so cute just plain that I didn’t want to risk screwing it up.  (And given that my sewing skills are really not great, that risk was high.)  This was a quick and easy pattern and one that you can customize a zillion different ways, akin to my basic knit hat pattern.  I see more of these in my future.

Advertisements